VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2015 11:27:21 -0800
Hi All,

Well, after refusing to talk for a couple of days, my HP laptop has
decided to come back to life. It probably resented going into the box
for a return. I pulled it out today to give it one last try before
taking it back, and today it worked just fine.

I turned off the touchpad by going into mouse settings, tabbing over to
the search box and typing, "clickpad," then pressing enter on the
disable option. The nice thing is that this touchpad seems to turn off
completely. The one on my Acers would turn back on whenever I touched
certain parts of it.

I haven't gone into the bios with sighted help to get my F1 to F12 keys
back. That's next on the agenda.

I still haven't figured out how to turn off Cortana. Somehow I managed
it on my desktop and tablet, but I don't remember what I did. When I've
googled, I've read that I need to go into settings, but I haven't found
anything there that has anything to do with searches or Cortana. I've
also read that you open Cortana, click on the notebook and access the
settings from there. Through some trial and error, I've found the famous
Cortana Notebook, but I haven't found her settings. Does anyone know how
to turn her off so she searches my computer, not the web?

also, I'm having trouble putting This PC on the desktop. You're supposed
to right-click on a blank area of the desktop, then choose an option
(Themes I think), which, in turn, gives you This PC as an option. In the
past, I've done this with NVDA by pressing alt+Home on the desktop, then
pressing the applications key. This time, I'm not able to do that. Jaws
17, NVDA 2015.3 and Narrator--all think I'm on whatever icon I was on
last. so they give me properties, etc., for that icon, not for the blank
desktop. This happens even when I use the computer's touch screen to
find a blank place. Does anyone have any workarounds?

the HP is running Windows 10 and the latest Jaws, NVDA, and Narrator.

thanks for any wisdom.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]