VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:14:09 -0400
Here's my situation.  I'm running windows 7, 32-bit edition and it's a
recently installed version as well.  I bought a 1.5 TB Toshiba Canvio
external hard drive, partly so that I could do regular drive image
backups.  For the most part, I am able to copy individual files and
folders to the drive with no problems.  However, when I use Windows
Backup to do a complete backup it gets to a point where it seems like
it's about to finish the backup and then I get a semaphore timeout error
and a message saying that there was an error accessing the remote shared
folder.  Here is the exact text of the error.
Windows Backup encountered an error when accessing the remote shared
folder. (0x8078015B)
Additional Information:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. (0x80070079)
I have seen many people in online forums with this same problem but I
never seem to find a solution that either makes sense or one which
applies to my situation.  The drive is not on a network; it's connected
to the computer's USB port directly.  I've even called Microsoft's
accessibility helpdesk which is free for users who are running
accessibility software and I was advised to do a reinstall of the OS.  I
would normally consider it except that I had already done this a month
before calling them to deal with some other corruption issues I was
having which are not related to this problem.  Reinstalling the OS would
take around 3 hours, with additional time spent downloading the various
patches and updates to get the system up to speed.  Again, I'd consider
it if I knew it would fix the problem but I just don't think that's
going to solve it.  I'd appreciate any assistance or thoughts you might
have about how to solve this problem.  I don't know which remote shared
folder it's referring to.  If there are specific settings or properties
I should look into tweeking, I'm open to ideas.

--

Feel free to visit my new Web site
http://www.DavidGoldfield.info

Feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-goldfield/12/929/573

Visit my blog
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/davidgoldfield

         David Goldfield,
        Founder and Peer Coordinator

    Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]