VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2014 12:42:42 -0800
The metro area of Windows 8 and 8.1 has tiles of varying sizes. In the
world of Android, we would call them widgets. These tiles tell you what
the app is and give you some information. for example, the weather app
tells you what the weather is in your area. This area is like a smart
phone in that you arrow up, down, left, and right to find the tile you
want; there's no first-letter navigation. The apps/widgets themselves
also behave more like smart phone apps in that there's no pressing alt
to get into the ribbon/menus. Instead, you use the context key to find
some commands and the Settings command (Windows+i) to find additional
options. In the world of Android, we have the long-press and More
Options. I believe iOS has Settings.

Just to clarify a misconception, Windows 8 tablets don't have a Start
button on the screen, but if you have a keyboard, the usual commands,
Start and ctrl+esc, toggle you between your current application and the
metro area. My laptop had Windows 8 on it before the Windows 8.1 update,
and it worked much as 8.1 does for keyboard users.

About gestures, you can use them or completely ignore them. My desktop
system is an all-in-one, which means it's a monitor with ports and a DVD
drive. The entire screen is touch sensitive. I don't use the gestures
because the keyboard is closer. My laptop has a little touch pad below
the space bar, but I've turned it off to keep from making weird things
happen when I accidentally touch it while typing on it during my lectures.

I'm not sure if this message will make it to the list.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]