VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2014 10:04:39 -0800
Hi All,

I've been using my Windows 8.1 computer full-time for about a month now,
and things are good over all. I'm still having some keyboard issues with
Windows Mail, which is a metro app. I'm able to send and receive my
teaching mail this way, and though working with Windows Mail is much,
much more efficient than working with the Outlook Web App, it's got its
quirks. for example, when I want to attach a file, which I do
frequently, I can't use first-letter navigation to find the file in a
list view, I need to down- or up-arrow through a grid view. Anyway,
while trying to figure out whether the grid view could be turned into a
list view, I came across a really useful article on how to change the
metro screen to an app view. It's got other good tips, so I've included
the link at the end.

About changing the metro tiles to an app list, I've also pasted those
instructions because I think I'm having trouble with the first step:
right clicking on the taskbar. When I move there, I'm not finding the
options described in the article. With Jaws, focus tends to move to an
app, but even when I manage to deselect the app with the left mouse
simulation key or when I use NVDA to get there, the options that come up
are different (i.e., I find a Taskbar tab, not a Navigation tab). I've
not sure if I'm misunderstanding the instructions or not doing something
right with the screen reader.

I'm using Windows 8.1 and the current versions of Jaws and NVDA.

Here's an excerpt from the article with the instructions:

It can be difficult to find the app you need from the Windows 8 Start
screen, because tiles take up so much of the screen. There is, however,
a way to
turn the Start screen into a useful app launcher. On the desktop
right-click the taskbar and select 'Properties', then click the
'Navigation' tab. In the
Start screen section, tick the box next to 'Show the apps view
automatically when I go to Start'. From now on, when you go to the Start
screen you'll see
a list of all your apps rather than those big tiles.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/10427857/7-hidden-features-in-Microsoft-Windows-8.1.html

thanks for any help.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at