VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 19:23:20 -0800
Hi all,

How do people on the list read Kindle content on the computers, or how
do you do it on your Kindle devices? I'm especially interested in
knowing how you look things up in reference books like dictionaries and
manuals.

In one of my other lives, I'm a translator, so I use dictionaries a lot
and I do a lot of selective reading and skimming of other types of
materials. While following a thread on another list, it finally occurred
to me that I could get bilingual dictionaries and specialized glossaries
as well as other goodies through Kindle. Someone on that list posted
thorough instructions on how to remove the DRM and convert the files to
other formats. Initially, I tried being a good girl and attempted to use
the Kindle for PC with Accessibility Plugin, but that's not at all right
for my use case, so I removed some DRM's and started playing with Stanza.

I've converted two very large dictionary files (two thousand pages each)
into doc files. Word is incredibly sluggish, taking about ten minutes to
adjust to having the file open. This is obviously not ideal, so I plan
to break the file up into segments of 50 to 100 pages.

As I was thinking about what other things I could do to make using these
files more realistic, I decided to post here to find out what others of
you do. A sighted friend of mine has a Kindle Keyboard, and from the
little playing I've done with it, I gather it's fine for reading, but
probably not practical for dictionary searches and other types of text
searches, but I'm not sure, so I've come to the experts.

Anyone on list a power user of Kindle files?

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]