VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 21:51:21 -0800
I don't think I've ever used the Skip Navigation link. I always jump to
header first. Then I may try other screen reader navigation commands.
Finally, I use the arrow keys. In fact, if I'm new or relatively new to
a website, I do a lot of arrowing around to find out what's there, etc.

One thing I notice in Windows is that screen reader navigation commands
don't always work. Though this happens more often with Jaws, I don't
think it's a Jaws issue. For example, at work I sometimes use a page
with a single checkbox in it. I can get to the checkbox with the arrows
or with the tab key, but the screen reader says there are no checkboxes
when I try the jump-to command. I've figured out that, if the checkbox
is in a frame and focus is outside the frame, the screen reader won't
find it. Sometimes the same thing happens with tables: the screen reader
doesn't look for the element inside the table if focus is somewhere
else. But this isn't consistent.

This is relatively new behavior (within the last year or so), and
because of it, I notice I'm less trusting in what the screen reader reports.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]