Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 25 Dec 2013 09:26:05 -0500
Dave:

I checked my menu lists for both the TS590 and TS480, and find no additional
menu choices in the TS590 list.

In the 590, menu 7 changes the speed, while for the TS480, it's menu 16.

I found no change in function with my TS590 as compared to the 480 with
regard to this particular menu item, and was able to adjust it to my
preferences.  I found that when you adjust the speed, the pitch does change
as well, which I always thought was kind of strange.

So, when your other chip arrives, I suspect it will not perform any
differently if you were to put it in the 590.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

-----Original Message-----
From: For blind ham radio operators [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Dave Basden
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 1:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: VGS-1 Speaking Rate

I bought a TS-590 as a Christmas present and it was supposed to come with a
VGS-1 as a free Christmas stocking-stuffer from Kenwood.  As it turns out, I
had to mail in a form and wait for Kenwood to send it to me.  That could
take a couple of months.  Since I have a VGS-1 in my TS-480S, I moved it to
the TS-590.  It seems to work all right, but when I sped up the voice rate
the pitch went up as wlell.  It's been many years since I originally set up
the TS-480, so I can't recall whether it was that way on the TS-480.  If
anyone can tell me it would save my putting the new VGS-1, when it arrives,
in place of the old one.  I'm just afraid Kenwood changed the VGS-1 without
chaging the model number.

73,

Dave, W7OQ