VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2015 20:30:21 -0800
7bit
Sender:
From:
Hi all,

I just bought a new Windows 10 HP laptop because my netbook died. I
don't remember which one exactly because the stores I went to were out
of the couple I had in mind, so I'll have someone remind me tomorrow.
This laptop looks like a Mac, the aluminum body with the HP logo where
Macs have the apple. The touch pad also reminds me very much of the one
on the Mac Books, and there's even no right windows key, so you have to
use the ctrl+shift+F10 hot key.

Anyway, this laptop behaves like a Mac in that the F1 to F12 keys have
special functions, like volume and mute. If you want F1 to F12 to behave
in the usual windows way, you need to hold down the fn key. There are a
couple of exceptions. For example, alt+F4 behaves like alt+F4, but in
most cases, I need to hold down the Fn key to use one of those keys
alone or in combination with something else (e.g., fn+ctrl+shift+F10).
Aside from getting mildly annoyed, I don't like this because the F6 is
mute, so when I'm in the throes of using my browser, I frequently mute
speech. the solution is easy (i.e., press F6 again), but I seem to
inadvertently mute, then hastily mute, often enough that the system crashes.

If anyone has one of these computers, how do you make F1 to F12 behave
like F1 to F12 without holding down the fn key?

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]