VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2014 07:08:14 -0500
7bit
Sender:
From:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
while browsing twitter, I noticed a tweet indicating that CCleaner from
Piriform released a new version.  When I went to their Web site, what I
discovered was that version 5.0 has not been officially released but was
released as a public beta.  I am going to post the note from their blog,
with good news after the post.
Post begins..

After months of design, development and testing we are very excited to
announce that CCleaner v5.0 is available to download in Beta!
CCleaner v5.0 sees a change with a redesigned, modern interface. The
current interface you know and love has remained largely the same since
its first release almost 10 years ago, so we decided it was time to give
it a fresh new look!
Our design team have worked hard to bring CCleaner up-to-date while
making sure it still felt like the same tool that our hundreds of
millions of users love. We are extremely happy with the result, and we
hope you are too!
For advanced users we have a beta version of CCleaner v5 available for
you to download. (We don't recommend using this outside of test
environments.)
Download CCleaner v5.0 Beta
This build includes just the interface change. The other features will
be coming over the next week, with a final release build at the end of
the month.
Post ends..

People who are blind will understand why this post made me a bit
nervous.  New design, modern interface, fresh new look are terms which
often mean buggy, messed-up or broken accessibility to screen reader
users.  I downloaded the beta, installed it and was absolutely amazed to
discover that it pretty much feels or should I say sounds like the
CCleaner I've been using for years.  You would hardly even notice there
was a version change.  I was very, very pleased.  I have noticed one
very, very minor issue which is a bit of a carryover from previous
versions which I will alert Piriform about.
The current version for regular use is 4.19.
For those who haven't used it, CCleaner is a program which allows you to
remove temporary files left over by programs you may have ran, as well
as including the ability to examine, delete or disable startup items,
restore points and orphaned registry entries.  People should exercise
great caution when deleting any of these files, particularly regarding
registry cleanup.  I actually won't run registry scans on a student's
computer.  Cleaning the registry may make sense in theory but doesn't
give you any real performance gains and could also really hose a
system.  I admit I've used it many, many times without incident but I
can also think of at least one time when performing a registry cleanup
caused a student's system to not boot into the OS.  Still, it's a nice
tool that's been around for years.
www.piriform.com

--

Feel free to visit my new Web site
http://www.DavidGoldfield.info

Feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-goldfield/12/929/573

Visit my blog
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/davidgoldfield

         David Goldfield,
        Founder and Peer Coordinator

    Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired
To learn more about the users' group, visit
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com/2014/04/20/updated-faqphiladelphia-computer-users-group-for-the-blind-and-visually-impaired/

--

Feel free to visit my new Web site
http://www.DavidGoldfield.info

Feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-goldfield/12/929/573

Visit my blog
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/davidgoldfield

         David Goldfield,
        Founder and Peer Coordinator

    Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired
To learn more about the users' group, visit
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com/2014/04/20/updated-faqphiladelphia-computer-users-group-for-the-blind-and-visually-impaired/

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]