VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:50:10 -0500
7bit
Sender:
From:
David Goldfield <[log in to unmask]>
Our users' group normally meets on the last Friday of each month.
However, since the last Friday of November is the day after Thanksgiving
I have decided to move the meeting back to November 21 at 8:00 PM
Eastern time.
As far as assistive technology is concerned, November wasn't as busy as
October but there are still a great many things we could talk about.

1.  Version 16 of JAWS was released toward the end of October. Users
with software maintenance agreements are free to download it from
Freedom Scientific's Web site or can just wait until the DVD arrives at
their doorstep.  I'm wondering if any of you have started using version
16 and what you think of its new features, particularly command search
as well as having the ability to read a scanned PDF file?

2.  while this is not directly computer-related, it certainly relates to
assistive technology and could very well be the biggest technology event
of the year.  I'm referring to Comcast rolling out its talking menu
system for users with the X1 box.  I've heard that this service will be
available starting on November 19 and no new equipment is needed, as
this is a software update for X1 users.  On the 19th, you should be able
to press the triangle-shaped button on your remote control followed by
the enter key and you should have access to the menus.  I will be
curious as to whether anybody will have tried this out.

As always, all are welcome to participate.  The number to call is
(712) 432-3900
when prompted for your access code, enter
391477
followed by the pound key.

--

Feel free to visit my new Web site
http://www.DavidGoldfield.info

Feel free to visit my LinkedIn profile
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-goldfield/12/929/573

Visit my blog
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/davidgoldfield

         David Goldfield,
        Founder and Peer Coordinator

    Philadelphia Computer Users' Group for the Blind and Visually Impaired
To learn more about the users' group, visit
http://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com/2014/04/20/updated-faqphiladelphia-computer-users-group-for-the-blind-and-visually-impaired/

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]