VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2014 12:36:47 -0500
Carnegie Mellon University is looking for a postdoc in the area
of
accessibility research.

Accessibility technology has been helping people with
disabilities
access information in ways that never before existed.  Technology
has
improved the quality of lives in work, education, and everyday
life.

These innovations were mainly about the accessibility of
information.  In the example of blindness, digital Braille and
voice-based Web access have brought an exponential growth of the
available information.  We believe the next innovations will be
for
real world accessibility.  Cognitive computing is a key for this
future, so devices like smartphones and Google glasses can help
people understand the real world.  Our initial focus will be on
cognitive assistance for people who need visual support.  These
systems will enable blind people to recognize and manage the real
world.  We want to extend that exponential growth and substitute
for
other senses, too.

We need multi-disciplinary efforts to pursue goals such as better
user interfaces, computer vision, robotics, language-interface
systems, and machine learning.  The first project plan is to
create
an Accessible CMU Campus, working with faculty members of Jeff
Bigham, Kris Kitani, Aaron Steinfeld and Chieko Asakawa.

The cognitive assisting system will sense and make sense of the
world by translating various types of data into audio
descriptions
and even predictions.  Other sensory channel are also possible.
There
is no specific list of required skills or how they link to HCI,
but
the applicant should be familiar with cognitive computing
concepts
in terms of augmenting human ability and be eager to and capable
of
bringing them to a broad range of applications.  Please apply for
the
position and let's work together for the next innovations!

Please contact , "Jeffrey P.  Bigham" <[log in to unmask]>, if there
is
further question.

The position is for one year with the possibility of renewal for
one
more year.  Interested candidates with Ph.D should send a
personal
statement describing career objectives, background and experience
along with a CV in Word or pdf format to "Jeffrey P.  Bigham"