VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2013 19:30:44 -0800
8bit
Sender:
From:
I just received the following press release about an update to the
Bureau of Engraving and Printing's free U.S. paper money reader for iOS.
I notice there isn't an Android version. When I went to the website
mentioned and to the main BEP site, I couldn't find any contact form to
make the request. Does anyone know where I can go to advocate for Android?

Here's the release:

upgraded currency reader
FYI:

Upgraded Currency Reader App Launched by Bureau of Engraving and Printing
A new version of the EyeNote™ mobile device application (app) that
denominates U.S. currency was released by the Department of the
Treasury’s Bureau
of Engraving and Printing (BEP) today, replacing the version originally
launched in April 2011. The newer version is easier and quicker to
operate because

it uses a continuous scan function to identify the note, rather than
requiring the user to take a picture.
EyeNote™ can be downloaded for free onto many Apple iPhone, iPad, and
iPod products. It recognizes all Federal Reserve notes issued since
1996, including

the new $100 note that began circulating in October, and communicates
the denomination back to the user through an audible response (English
or Spanish)

or a vibration pulse mode for privacy. EyeNote™ was developed by BEP as
an interim solution to increase accessibility to Federal Reserve notes
among blind

and visually impaired individuals while the U.S. government develops a
system of raised tactile features to incorporate into future redesigned
notes.

“The recent enhancements made to the EyeNote™ app make it an even more
effective tool to assist people in denominating U.S. currency,” said
Treasurer

of the United States Rosie Rios. “It offers portability and speed, both
requirements when used in a retail environment, and the convenience of
not needing

to carry around a separate reader by using one’s personal mobile
device.” The EyeNote™ app has more than 14,000 downloads since the 2011
launch.
Users who downloaded the original version of EyeNote™ will automatically
receive notification on their devices that an updated version of the app is
available to download. Others can download the upgraded version for free
through the Apple App Store℠ via iTunes®.
More information about EyeNote™ is available at
www.eyenote.gov

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]