VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2013 18:35:46 -0500
7bit
From:
Blaine Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Albert,
If you can't find any high volt accessible t-stats there's a way to use
the low volt ones. Electric baseboard heaters and their t-stats run on
line voltage of either 110 or 220 for residential use. There are other
voltage rated heaters for other uses such as 208 or 277 but that really
doesn't matter. Furnaces and heat pumps have a control circuit of 24
volts. The answer for your problem is to put in a transformer from your
baseboard voltage (or any other voltage source) to 24 volt, then to your
t-stat and then to a 24 volt coil relay with contacts rated for the line
voltage of your baseboard heaters. This will take the place of the line
voltage t-stat. Any decent electrician can set this up for you. If your
accessible t-stat has what's called an anticipator, the amp draw of the
circuit will have to be determined so the anticipator can be accurately
set. A small clip-on amp meter will show the amp draw. Find out if your
supplier for the accessible t-stat has any other specific
recommendations for this type of application.
Happy heating!

No Microsoft garbage used here, sent by a very satisfied Linux-Mint
<http://www.linuxmint.com/> user (a former disgruntled Microsoft user).
You could check out Vinux, Linux for the visually impaired
<http://wiki.vinuxproject.org/>.
This email and any attachments are not virus scanned either, that's up
to you poor Microsoft users to deal with.
I'd rather be a wild and wacky Linux Penguin than a docile,
domesticated, Microsoft sheep.

Linux user 546139. <https://linuxcounter.net/cert/546139.png>
On 11/30/2013 12:22 PM, Albert Ruel wrote:
> Hi all.  Do any of you know where an accessible thermostat for
> electric baseboard heaters might be found?  Google searches seem to
> only come up with conventional ones for furnaces and heat pumps.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]