VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:44:02 -0600
7bit
From:
Christopher Chaltain <[log in to unmask]>
I'm not sure I get the statement about Narrator and not needing JAWS any
more. We already have Window Eyes and NVDA, and I have no confidence
that Narrator will be a better overall screen reader than those options,
so if we still need JAWS now given those options, I still see us, or at
least some of us, needing JAWS even with a new and more robust Narrator.
I also don't see MS putting any effort whatsoever in making Narrator a
good overall screen reader that works with 3rd party applications. If
you're only going to use MS products, Windows Live Mail, Internet
Explorer and so on, then you may be able to get by with Narrator, but if
you're using non-MS products, like Lotus Notes, Lotus Sametime, Libre
Office, Firefox, Chrome, thunderbird and so on, then I'm not sure
Narrator will ever be sufficient.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail