VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:29:51 -0800
7bit
From:
I notice the same thing with Jaws 13 and Windows 7 on my netbook. When
I'm on the web, I get frequent silences. Sometimes the whole system
crashes; other times, it just seems to be the browser. I also notice
that it's much more likely to happen when I'm typing fast in an edit
field. And I have the problem of Jaws losing focus a lot too. The
silences happen more often with Firefox, but they also happens fairly
frequently in Internet Explorer, and the lack of focus is more common in
Internet Explorer.

When the browser goes silent, I find that pressing Windows-m for the
desktop or alt+tab to move focus to another application seems to help.
If I leave focus in the browser, speech never returns, but if I move
focus to something else, speech usually comes back after a while, as
little as 30 seconds and as much as a minute or two (literally a minute
or two).

I agree with Jeff on the SMA. It's really hard to want to throw good
money after bad on such a buggy product. I'd be a lot more forgiving if
the product were low cost to begin with, but it's not, and telling
customers that problems will be solved in the next version (something
I've been told repeatedly when I've called FS and something that rarely
happens) is a cop out.

Rant over. Back to regularly scheduled browsing with intermissions for
speech crashes and lost focus.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]