VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:59:20 -0800
7bit
Sender:
From:
Hi All,

In a nutshell, my problem is that my printer tells me I'm out of ink
when I know I changed the toner cartridge last week. I'm not sure if the
problem is the printer, the network, the computer, or the gremlins.

I have a wireless printer here at home. It's a Brother MFC-J615W; it's
actually a four-in-one. When I bought it over a year ago, I had a tech
set it up. He set up the network, installed the printer software on my
Mac, and tested the system to make sure all worked as it should.

The tech advised against installing the printer software on my netbook
because his experience was that netbooks don't do well with it.  He did
say I might find the printer when I tap into my network. I don't
remember if he set that up for me or if I tried setting that up on my
own. The point is that though my Windows netbook lists the printer in
Printers and Devices, I can't use it because the netbook tells me
drivers are missing. Just to make sure, I went to the Brother website to
find out if any basic printer drivers were available, something to make
it print without scanning, faxing, or copying. I found some, but I got
caught up in one of those click here loops that go no where, so I wasn't
able to install them.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I went into the Fix It section of the control
panel on the netbook, which is running Windows 7 , and was able to use
that to install the correct drivers. I'm guessing they were just the
printer drivers because I'm not finding a Brother application on my
desktop or in All Programs. Whatever it was, I am able to print from
Word now.

Last week, I tried to print an article I found on the net, with Firefox
as my browser. It wouldn't print, and when I checked Printers and
Devices>Brother MFC-J615W>See What's Printing, I discovered that my
printer was out of toner. Since I had changed the toner about two months
before, I thought that didn't sound right, but I had a sighted person
confirm the message for me, and we changed the correct cartridge. Since
then, I've printed a few documents all in Word, maybe twenty pages in
total. Then yesterday, I tried to print a Word file, and I got the same
message about the toner. This time, I know I've got ink. The cartridge
was new, and I've only printed twenty pages, give or take.

What's happening?

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]