From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2014 04:27:03 -0600
Sounds normal to me.  If you think of Alan's 2400 watts of heat dissipation,
a regular space heater puts out 1500 watts.  There is much effort is made in
cooling the front grill of the heater.
In the amp, to keep down on size, their is as little space as possible
between the top of the amp, and the inside components.
I might be wrong here, but I think the heat dissipation capability of a tube
equals half of the power input that the tube is capable of.
I might be wrong again, but if your amp is running at 40 per cent
efficiency, that other 60 per cent is turned in to heat.
Today, we measure everything as output, but that does not tell us what the
power input to the final amp is.
We don't measure that any more.

---