VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
peter altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2016 08:12:02 -0500
Is Your Office Tech Making You Sick?
  Common desktop items like keyboards and mice may be teeming
with harmful bacteria.
  Larry Schwartz AlterNet October 24, 2016
  It's the 21st century and office tech is commonplace.  We go to
our offices and get swiped in with electronic badges, we sit at
our desks and use mice and track pads to navigate our computers,
and we place calls on our cell phones.  After handling all these
tech items, we grab a sandwich and eat lunch at our desks with
the same hands that have been touching all these office items.
The question is, when was the last time any of these tech items
were cleaned? Sure, we may wipe down the desk surface
occasionally, but how about our computer mouse? CBT Nuggets, an
IT training company, decided to see what was lurking on our
office tech, and what they found might make you a little queasy.
  There are four common types of bacteria that tend to make their
way into our lives, three of which can make us sick: 1)
Gram-positive cocci, which, among other things, can cause skin
infections and bacterial pneumonia; 2) gram-positive rods, which
are almost all harmful to humans and can be antibiotic-resistant;
3) bacilli, which are found in soil and are a mixed bag of
harmful and helpful bacteria; and 4) gram-negative rods, which
are generally harmless to humans.
  A team of experts swabbed common office tech items and analyzed
the results.  Surprisingly, the dirtiest item of all was the
electronic badge.  Perhaps because it's not an item one would
usually think of cleaning, or because it goes through many hands
or swipe stations, the ID badge had more than a million more CFUs
(colony-forming units) per square inch (4,620,000) than its
nearest tech competitor.  To compare, your dog's pet toy has
about 19,000 CFUs per square inch, making your badge potentially
243 times more bacteria-laden than Bowser's saliva-covered chew
bone.  Only about 13 percent of the bacteria found on the badge
were of the harmless gram-negative rod variety.  The remaining
bacteria were all potential disease carriers.
  The second dirtiest office desk item tested was the keyboard,
which came in at 3,543,000 CFUs per square inch, or approximately
20,000 times dirtier than your toilet seat.  About a third of the
bacteria on the keyboard were harmless gram-negative rods,
leaving two-thirds of the germs potentially worrisome.
  Next up, the cell phone.  The phone, which admittedly splits
its time between office and home, had 1,600,082 CFUs per square
inch.  That's 31,000 times the bacteria on your typical pen,
which has about 51 CFUs per square inch.  The breakdown was about
a third each of the potentially harmful bacteria, with very
little harmless gram-negative rods present.
  Mouse users came in fourth, at 1,370,068 CFUs per square inch,
45,000 times dirtier than a toilet handle, which has 30 CFUs per
square inch.  A little over 40 percent of the mouse bacteria were
harmless gram-negative rods.  The rest was potentially harmful.
  Finally, track pad users were the safest, with only 810 CFUs
per square inch, although that is still 162 times as dirty as
money.  Plus, almost all of the bacteria were of the potentially
harmful variety.
  The takeaway from this study is clear; an occasional alcohol
wipe of your office equipment is warranted.  While exposure to
these germs is not a guarantee you will get sick, there is always
the risk, especially since the average person touches their face
as many as 3,000 times a day, including the mouth, nose and eyes,
prime entryways for disease-causing organisms.  The best defense?
Wash your hands! The Centers for Disease Control considers hand
washing a do-it-yourself vaccine to protect you from sickness.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]