VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2014 10:48:29 -0700
Interesting that you should post this. I switch between Jaws and NVDA
pretty frequently. In general, when I switch, I notice the same number
of blank lines in the same places.

Recently, however, I've noticed that this has changed. The first time I
noticed it, I was using Thunderbird. Jaws sometimes decides emails are
blank, so I switch to NVDA to read them. The messages I was reading had
no blank lines between the salutation and the body or between the body
and the closing. Not everyone puts blank lines there, but these
particular senders generally do. Later, when Jaws was working, it told
me there was a blank line in both places. I switched between the two
screen readers a couple of times, and Jaws consistently reported blank
lines there while NVDA sometimes reported them, but not always.

NVDA hadn't been updated, so I wasn't sure which screen reader was
right. I hadn't thought about it until I read your message, but I think
I notice the discrepancies only in Thunderbird and Firefox. For me, NVDA
isn't consistent, but I haven't paid as much attention as I should.

On 10/18/2014 3:32 AM, David Goldfield wrote:
> I've noticed a harmless but ever so slightly annoying issue with NVDA
> and Firefox.  I don't think this is an NVDA issue, as this seemed to
> have happened when installing Firefox 33.  I was using 2014.3 and have
> installed the latest master build to see if the problem went away,
> which it has not.
> On some web pages, I'm noticing extra blank lines where there weren't
> before.  examples include the news heading on the NVDA Web site, where
> I now hear the word "blank" in between many of the links, along with
> tweet options on easychirp.  It's harmless but I'm finding it just a
> bit bothersome.  I'm wondering if anyone knows what's causing it and
> if others have noticed it.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]