VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2014 06:32:47 -0700
Hi All,

If anyone uses Windows 8 Metro Mail, please share your tips for
populating the headers in new messages.

I use the metro mail app in Windows 8.1 to read the mail for one of the
campuses where I teach. It's a long story, but the bottom line is that I
can either use the Metro mail app or the Outlook.com web app, and while
the mail app can stand some improvements, it's a much more efficient
experience than the website. I can do most things with the mail app, so
I can live with it.

When I start a new message, however, I'm having trouble reading the
information I type in the headers (i.e., To, CC, BCC, Subject). I'm
especially having trouble with autocomplete in the To, CC, and BCC fields.

For example, I started a new message with ctrl+n and started typing
someone's name in the To field. The screen reader announced the person's
full email address, so there's obviously some sort of popup, but when I
used say-line or the left and right arrow keys to find out if the To
field had been populated, the screen reader reported the field as blank.
If I hit tab on the assummption that the edit field is populated, I get
an error message telling me there's a problem with the address, which
suggests it's incomplete. I've tried pressing enter, down-arrow, or
alt+down-arrow after I hear the full address, but that doesn't seem to
populate the edit field either. Oddly, just typing the full email
address myself still produces an error, and the screen reader still says
the edit field is blank.

I've tried Jaws 15 and NVDA 2014.2 or whatever the current version is.
Results are about the same. Jaws announces the address I'm typing and a
previous address, while NVDA just announces the current address.

Any suggestions about what to do?

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]