From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2014 12:40:18 -0600
the uv5r is like a gaping barn door on the front end... selectivity is not
in it's DNA lol.
better to use ctcss tones to get away from noise...but too many ancient
dynosaurs still exist who won't get radios with tone.
There hasn't been a repeater built in the last 35 years that doesn't have
tone capability...but repeater operators still have this idea that you
shouldn't put tone on the machine in case someone wants to use their old
memorizer or 70's boat anchor to access the machine and won't be able to
talk lol.

73
Colin, V A6BKX