From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2014 09:05:11 -0400
Hi Dave,

If you haven't already disabled the preview pane under view/layout,
(called the message pane) then do so and then press alt + F6 and you
will be in the tree view of folders, then press tab once to get to the
list of messages.  Press enter on each individual message to open it and
control + W to close the message.  Alt + F4 and escape also work to
close messages, but for some reason, they're not as consistent.  I don't
know why.

Hope this helps.