From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 2013 16:13:52 -0500

While I appreciate Rose's effort in giving us something we can easily show
people who have questions about the differences in gluten issues, I have
some problems with the article that attempts to dilineate the difference
between celiac disease and "gluten "intolerance."
http://glutenfreehelp.info/celiac-or-gluten-sensitive/

The first problem is one of nomenclature of "gluten intolerance". Dr.
Fasano wants to call it "non-celiac gluten sensitivity" and I think going
with his term will help unite us in our understanding of the disorder. His
study has revealed it to be a problem with the *innate* immune system and
shows that it is something totally separate from both the autoimmune
disease that is celiac disease and gluten allergy (which is an IgE mediated
disorder)M. Here is link from the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness
that explains the difference:
http://www.celiaccentral.org/non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity/introduction-and-definitions/

And that brings me to the problem of calling celiac disease an allergy. As
an IgA mediated autoimmune disorder, it is *not *an allergy. It's important
to understand what is and is not autommune because of the high incidence of
comorbidity between celiac disease and other autoimmmune diseases. I feel
that mis-stating it as an allergy also blunts understanding of it's
possibly severe impact. Yes, some people have a deadly anaphylactic
response to things they are allergic to, but the overwhelming majority of
people only have symptoms that are occasionally bothersome. In contrast,
celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that causes widespread and systemic
organ damage.

My apology to Rose, but I think these are important differences.

Best,
Kit in St. Louis

*******
*******