From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2013 17:44:44 -0400

Thanks, List, for coming through as you always do.

A dozen people responded to my question about anti-inflammatories and side-effects.

One person reported that all anti-inflammatories are hard on the gut; "it is not a Celiac thing at all." Arthrotec, the one my doctor prescribed, is among the mildest. It is relatively new, this informant said, so there is no generic equivalent and therefore no low-cost alternative.

Another person suggested that perhaps a few days is not long enough for the body to accommodate to the drug. She reported toggling between diarrhea and constipation for about ten days before her gut gets used to the medication and calms down.

A third suggested taking the pill after eating.

One person said she had a "terrible time" with anti-inflammatories before dx; not so sensitive now, but still not great.

Two people said categorically that they cannot tolerate anti-inflammatories; one of those said she can't even use anti-inflammatory ointments w/out suffering unpleasant side-effects.

One person said Celebrex side-effects were more tolerable.
One person prefers Naproxyn.

Three people recommended a non-pharmaceutical anti-inflammatory: Curamin (tumeric)
http://www.curamin.com/

There was a question abut whether joint pain is related to Celiac. My understanding is that joint pain can be a symptom of untreated Celiac, but Celiac-related joint pain subsides after awhile on a gluten-free diet. That was certainly my experience 15 years ago. However, joint pain has many causes. My current situation (rotator cuff issue) has everything to do with age and athletic overuse.

Thanks again for the help.

Mary B.
NYC