VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2014 10:05:04 -0700
Marvin,

The Outlook.com web app my campus uses doesn't have any shortcuts. You
just have to arrow around or use the browser or screen reader Find
command to locate things quickly. The last time I checked, which was
quite a while ago, the regular Outlook.com site wasn't very accessible.
There's a link somewhere on the page for a screen reader friendly
version. I don't remember if it says, "screen reader" or "accessible."

The accessible site also lacks shortcuts. You can't just press ctrl+r to
reply. You have to open the message, find the Reply link, and press
enter. I believe the accessible version is also missing some of the
features of the regular site. It's a pita to use, but you should be able
to find the Options link from the accessible site though I don't
remember if it's called that.

Anyway, not all campuses allow you to forward your email to Gmail. Mine
did a couple of years ago, when I started, but it doesn't now. My campus
does allow students and faculty to receive email on our cell phones, so
I did that. Then I used the phone to figure out what the settings were.
To this date, I can't receive my campus messages in regular desktop
programs, like Thunderbird, but I can receive them in the windows 8
metro Mail app. I suspect messages can go only to mobile apps, and the
metro Mail app is technically a mobile app. Though I wish it did a few
things differently, it's much more efficient than Outlook.com if you're
a screen reader user.

Not much help, I know.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at