From:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2014 23:08:41 -0000
Albert

The Q-codes were established as a quick form of sending sentences.  Various
other systems were also used over the years.

Below are a variety of bits of information which I have accumulated over the
years:

Amateur Radio Q-Codes

International Q Code is an abbreviated way to exchange a great deal of
information
with a simple code. The Q Code consists of three-letter groups with each
group having a specific meaning. Each group begins with the letter Q.
Auxiliary letter
groups or numbers are also used to help define the information that
is need or passed with certain Q Code three-letter groups.

The International Q Code can be arranged in three types of code groups
according to the second letter in the three-letter Q Code.

The Q Code comprises :
A.	General Codes, second letter of which is R, S, T or U. (Some used by
Hams).
B.	Maritime Service Codes, second letter of which is O, P or Q.
C.	Aeronautical Codes, second letter of which is A, B, C, D, E, F, G,
H, I, J, K, L, M
orN.

Some common Q-Codes used by Amateur Radio Operators are:
table with 3 columns and 37 rows
Signal | Question | Answer, Advice or Order |
QRG | Will you indicate my exact frequency in kilohertz? | Your frequency is
... kHz. |
QRH | Does my frequency vary? | Your frequency varies. |
QRI | How is the tone of my transmission? | The tone of your transmission is
... 1.
Good. 2. Variable. 3. Bad. |
QRJ | Are you receiving me badly? Are my signals weak? 11 cannot receive
you. Your signals are too weak. |
QRK | What is the legibility of my signals (1 to 5)? | The legibility of
your signals is ... (1 to 5). |
QRL | Are you busy? 11 am busy (or busy with....). Please do not interfere.

QRM | Are you being interfered with? 11 am being interfered with. |
QRN | Are you troubled by static? 11 am troubled by static. |
QRO | Must I increase power? | Increase power. |
QRP | Must I decrease power? | Decrease power. |
QRQ | Must I send faster? | Send faster ... (words per min.). |
QRS | Must I send more slowly? | Transmit more slowly ... (w.p.m.). |
QRT | Must I stop transmission? | Stop transmission. |
QRU | Have you anything for me? 11 have nothing for you. |
QRV | Are you ready? 11 am ready. |
QRW | Must I advise ... that you are calling him on ... kHz? | Please advise
... that I am calling him on ... kHz. |
QRX | When will you call again? 11 will call you again at... hours (on ...
kHz). | QRZ | By whom am I being called? | You are being called by ... | QSA
| What is the strength of my signals (1 to 5)? | The strength of your
signals is ... (1 to 5). |
QSB | Does the strength of my signals vary? | The strength of your signals
varies. | QSD | Is my keying correct? Are my signals distinct? | Your keying
is incorrect; your signals are bad. |
QSG | Must I transmit... telegrams (or one telegram) at a time? |
Transmit... telegrams (or one telegram) at a time. |

Another

>> "The Q code was constructed for radio amateurs" - as an
> amateur I use QUQ all the time. Or is it Bah Humbug time again!
>
> John

Q-code was made for the maritime radio service, appendix 13 to RR  ( ITU
Radio Regulations)

Rag

Yet another

I ran across some Q Signals that are used infrequently, however they may
prove useful.

73

Mike
W0YR

SIGNAL                AS A QUESTION                  AS AN ANSWER OR
STATEMENT

QBA      How big is your antenna?                     My antenna is BIG!

QBO     Can you spare some soap?                   Don't sit next to that
guy
in the meeting.

QBS     May I tell you about my DX?                  It's getting deep here.

QCW    Shall I whistle Morse Code?                  Please whistle Morse
Code
(on SSB)

QDR     Do you have a Dead Receiver?              Damn Right the frequency
is
busy!

QET     Shall I phone hom?                               Please phone home.

QFH -   Is this frequency hogged?                     This frequency is
MINE!
- go elsewhere.

QHI? - Are you leaving after only one transmission?  I just came on to say
"HI."

QLF - Are you sending with your left foot?          I am sending with my
left
foot.

QPP - Do you need to take a break?                I have to go to the
bathroom!

QZZ? - Are you asleep?                                  I am very tired,
good
night!

Hopefully that helps you?

73