From:
eric oyen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2014 17:00:06 -0700
the funny thing is that low pass filters operate bi-directionally. If your radio produces harmonics that interfere above its normal operating range, then mix down products from sources above HF would also cause interference on HF. THese mix down products are often caused by interactions within the first stage of the IF in your radio. SO, using a filter eliminates a lot of that from getting to your radio (thus reducing or eliminating the problem).

I have an FM radio station transmitter site less than 3 miles from me producing several thousand watts. without the filter, I hear what sounds like FM modulated signals in a couple of bands. I put the filter in place, and those signals disappeared. THere are other sources (such as a wireless Access point, LAN switches and cable modems'DSL modems that produce signals that can show up in HF directly. Filtering these is a bit harder. I am having to use ferrite beads on the power leads and also on the LAN cables to try and minimize some of these issues. I have only been partially successful. I still get a lot of birdies in the 10 meter band (around 28.5). I am going to acquire a portable shortwave receiver and try to track these signals to their source and see what I can do to remove them.

-eric