From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 2013 22:09:22 -0500
Round-the-world echoes are certainly possible under conditions like we have
had on 10 in recent weeks.  I heard some of that on some of the European
stations with really high antennas last weekend.  Last Tuesday, when the
federal government was closed for snow, I heard WX3B running Europeans on 10
meter phone.  For fun I turned my beam southwest (the opposite direction, to
get the best long-path signal) and worked him.  We had nice round-the-world
echoes on our signals.
One time, listening during a big DX contest on 10 in the previous sunspot
cycle, I heard a double RTW echo on W3LPL's SSB signal.

But the typical back-scatter situation is that we point our beams south,
southwest or west, while stations further west may also point their beams
south or southeast, so we can work these folks via a reflection off the Gulf
of Mexico.  Here on the East Coast, before 10 or 15 opens to Europe on a
direct path, we can work major European stations who are beaming toward
South America; the skew-path reflection is from a large area of the Atlantic
Ocean that is visible to both ops.  But I think you know all this, anyway.
I just enjoy studying propagation.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com