From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2013 18:12:59 -0500
Vaughn,

Having owned and used both radios, I can well understand why this is a
difficult decision for you to make.  In terms of accessibility, the 590
provides much more feedback than does the 2000.  Items such as TX Power, Mic
Gain, Vox Gain, Vox Delay, Keying Speed, Carrier Level, TX Monitor, and a
few others which I'm probably forgetting, are not spoken by the VGS3, but
are spoken by the VGS1.  Where items don't speak, the 590 is more consistent
about providing high beeps when the item is turned on, and low beeps when it
is turned off.  In many cases, the 2000 provides a single beep which doesn't
change regardless of the state of the item, which means you really have to
keep your wits about you.  Having said all that, the 2000 is a very nice
radio, especially if you want to do anything on 2 meters or 450.  On the HF
bands, both radios are very similar, although I think the DSP in the 2000 is
slightly better.  Still, it's awfully easy to get used to the additional
feedback in the 590, which is why I bought one after having used the 2000
for about a year.

Two features you won't find on the 2000 are a USB audio interface, and a
low-level output for transverter operation.  Depending on your operating
preferences, you may not care at the moment, but that might change some day.

The main reason I continue to hang on to my 2000 is that I would some day
like to play around with SSB on VHF and UHF, and that's one area where the
2000 shines.

Steve