From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 09:45:09 -0400
Doug:

I agree with Ron's assertion that your blindness likely has very little if
anything to do with your frustrating experiences as club President.

As a former club president, back in the late 1990's and very early 2000's,
and a two-term Vice President after that, it was much easier to generate
interest and participation in our nets and various other club initiatives
than it is now.  In fact, our club (The Big Rapids Area Amateur Radio Club)
received the ARRL Club 2000 award for our size of club back in 2000, because
of our wide variety of activities and initiatives as both an ARRL Affiliated
Club, and Special Service Club.

I think we are competing now with cell phones, and the internet, as well as
an increasingly busy general population who simply believe that ham radio
has lost its appeal and utility.

Our challenge is to show them otherwise, which I believe can be done with a
bit of creativity and resourcefulness.  Also, of course, more than just the
club President need to be involved in this effort.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ