From:
"Alan R. Downing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:24:30 -0700
Good afternoon Howard,

I had Hygain custom make my tower.  The base tower that I had mine built on,
was their HD70.  I had them add 5 feet to the total height, but of course,
each of the 4 sections had to be made longer as well.  This was long before
MFJ bought out Hygain.  Piece of equipment.  I will be buying a amp from him
this year.

As for reliability of my DB36, it is the second SteppIr that I have had.  I
bought their original 4 element yagi back in 2004.  It didn't have 40 and
30, because the trombone elements had not come out by that time.  I was
supposed to be getting a DB42,  when I needed it.  I had hired a fellow from
Denver to put the antenna up, and his schedule only permitted one specific
week.  Since the factory couldn't deliver a DB42 when I needed it, I opted
for the DB36.  It is by far the best antenna that I have ever had, it is
just terrific.  I had the factory make mine differently than the stock DB32.
I didn't want to use their 50 ohm to 25 ohm balun, because it was limited to
3KW.  I had the factory make mine without a balun or connector.  I had Jay
custom-build a 50 ohm to 25 ohm balun that could handle 10KW DC.  I had Jay
make the balun with a female 7/16 DIN connector.  If you aren't familiar
with the 7/16 connector, they are about 4 times the size of an N connector.
They can handle 20KW, and can handle up to several gigahertz.  They are
very, very low loss, and have excellent weatherproofing characteristics.

Take care, and perhaps I will run into you on the air.

73
but the factory couldn't deliver one
I wouldn't think of buying a tower from MFJ, or any of its companies.  Jay
Terleski the owner of Array Solutions is a good friend of mine.  I buy stuff
from him quite often.  My power meter is his Power Master 2, which is a
terrific

Alan R. Downing
Phoenix, AZ