Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:01:19 -0500
7bit
From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
    Trimming part of the message so limit on length of body is not exceeded.
For multi-multi stations, records are being set, and I think a lot of them
should have fallen last weekend.  When I was operating at W4BVV, W3FA and
W3LPL in the late 70's, we struggled to get beyond 7 million points, or, I
think, 4,000 QSOs.  Even if packet networks were shut down for today's
contests, people could still use their own CW skimmers (in CW and RTTY
contests) to find multipliers or new stations to work.
Even in those days, you could not use non-amateur-radio means to set up
schedules or get people on the air, but people interpreted that rule to mean
that it was OK to set up schedules as part of their contest QSOs.  Over the
last 80 years of contesting, people have learned a lot about propagation,
antennas and receivers, so we can take better advantage of mediocre
conditions.  I agree that the sunspot cycle peaks around 1957-60, 1979-81,
1989-91, and 1999-2001 had better conditions on 10 than this cycle.  But
people have made up for some of this by improving their low-band
capabilities.  And that is part of what contests accomplish.
Not everyone does the automation bit to the max, at least as single
operators.  Fred, K3ZO, uses a computer for logging, but no spotting.  He
has some super antennas, and was on for 38 hours this weekend.  His band
breakdown was as follows:

Band  QSOs  Mults
-------------------
  160:   25    21
   80:  212    48
   40:  736    81
   20:  824    81
   15:  879    77
   10:  904    75
-------------------
Total: 3580   383  Total Score = 4,095,036

I can never hope to operate quite that much or have a station like his and
still be in walking distance of a grocery store.  But contests are, to some
extent, what you make of them, and can be a lot of fun, especially if you
are interested in propagation and challenges hearing and being heard.
As for Mike, VO1AX, I think he is DX, but I have to check the rules.  In any
case, he should be able to stir up some excitement by being a rare province.
But even though there were plenty of Maryland stations on the air, there
were enough people on that I had some nice pileups at times.  They would
come in waves, indicating to me that some of the stations that called me did
so in response to telnet or RBN spots.  Band  QSOs  Mults
-------------------
  160:   25    21
   80:  212    48
   40:  736    81
   20:  824    81
   15:  879    77
   10:  904    75
-------------------
Total: 3580   383  Total Score = 4,095,036

I can't hope to make that sort of score using a station on a 55 by 100-foot
city lot a couple of blocks from a grocery store and a shopping mall.  I
won't have the stamina to operate 38 hours, and will usually not skip church
entirely.  Mike should have a good time, whether he is DX or a rare province
(I have to consult the rules to be sure).  Managing pileups can be an
interesting exercise, as I found out this weekend.  Pileups came in waves,
which I think indicates that many people were finding me via telnet spots or
the reverse beacon network.
I do contests like this because I enjoy them and have a reasonably good
station.  I also contend that this is another hobby where we as blind hams
can "compete on terms of equality" with sighted hams.  But we are all in ham
radio for different reasons, and no part of the hobby should get all of the
attention.
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com