Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 2013 11:58:51 -0700
7bit
From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
I got interested in radio because of hearing my dad's stories of talking
skip on the cb from his big truck in the 70's.
A driver friend of his gave me a 40 channel mobile cb radio when I was 11
and we built a J poll base antenna for it.
I had it hooked up to a car battery in my bedroom.
We also had a good family friend who was a ham and he kept encouraging me to
get my license from an early age...though I didn't really do that until I
was in my 20's.
I have always been mechanically inclined, and was always taking apart broken
electronics...so I kind of got a good feel for the geography of a typical
vcr, or broken home stereo or whatever from early on.
I didn't understand how it all worked until my late teens, but I guess the
foundation was there early.
My parents always encouraged me to explore anything I wanted within limits
of safety like any kid...so things like stringing up wires to get better tv
and radio reception were allowed and my dad, with his limited knowledge was
always willing to help lol.  I was also allowed to install any equipment I
could get my hands on in his old '68 shevvy pickup, which also helped me
learn allot about electronics antennas and mobile installations.  I learned,
for instance, how to make a 102 inch stainless steel whip, and a 500 watt
tube linear along with various cb radios all work together and not blow
anything up or fry the primative electrical system in the vehicle hi hi.
Not to mention various and on going stereo instalations.
Anyway, I didn't really have the bug for radio until I was a bit older, but
I definitely got it hard by the time I was 12 or so.
I was more or less content with 11meters until my 20's when I started to get
some good HF equipment and decent HF antennas for receiving and realized the
additional possibilities.  When Echolink and IRLP became popular I decided
it was way past time to get that license and explore some of the newer more
interesting methods of communicating.
Moving to a bigger city with a larger ham community and allot more action on
the local repeaters also motivated me.
73
Colin, V A6BKX