From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2013 19:59:28 -0500
Colin,

The MFJ-212 tuner aid emits a pulsating noise through a directional coupler
toward the tuner.  When the tuner is not adjusted to an SWR of 1:1., the
pulsating noise is reflected back toward the receiver.  When the tuner is
adjusted to an SWR approaching 1:1, the reflected noise decreases, a null,
indicating the tuner is presenting a 1:1 or something approaching 1:1.  As
was mentioned here by others, it may be necessary to reduce your RF gain and
turn of your AGC to detect the pulsating noise.

If you do this carefully, and you have an amplifier, you should be able to
tune your amp in to a dummy load, switch to the tuner and antenna and it is
not necessary to put a signal on the air at all because you have already set
your tuner to present a 50 ohm load to the amp.

73

Howard #3