From:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2014 07:39:40 -0700

1.  LDN can be used for any auto-immune condition. Take a look at the LDN Research Trust page. Lots of resources at this non-profit site to provide info on LDN. Also they have a Facebook page with lots of info.
2.  I am on it also, and have steadily been improving in overall health. It helps with my osteoarthritis pain as well.
3.  Whoever wrote #3 (this refers to my summary previously sent) knows nothing about drugs. Naltrexone is not an NSAID, not even close. It is chemically related to the opiods. However, diarrhea and abdominal cramping are side effects, but probably not so much with a low dose regime.
4.  I just started on low dose naltrexone, but for another autoimmune central nervous system condition, not for celiac disease. It can't substitute for a gluten-free diet, but perhaps it would prevent another AI disease from popping up.
My doc said it works by slightly increasing endorphins which can help ameliorate inflammation. I'm fine with the idea of having more endorphins and less inflammation! I've been hearing about LDN for a long time, so I'm eager to find out whether this can help.

I don't know if you've heard of Ron Hoggan, who has been on this listserv a very long time, but he has long-advocated starting the gluten-free-diet with LDN in order to reduce the grain opioid withdrawal that so many have trouble with in their first few weeks.

In any case, perhaps it's another tool in the arsenal that can make the transition better.

Mary in NH