From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2014 11:59:47 -0400

This recipe was in my inbox today from Tasting Table.  I didn’t include the
picture because I don’t think the listserv supports photos, but you can take
a look at the link at the bottom.  It looks like fried chicken so I thought,
well this recipe won’t be easy to translate.  But the coating is made with
potato starch.  I will look forward to trying this, with the substitutions.
Of course, make sure all the ingredients are gf.
Ginger Karaage Chicken
Recipe adapted from Michael Anthony, Gramercy Tavern, New York City
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes (plus 1 hour marinating)
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 37 minutes (plus 1 hour marinating)
INGREDIENTS
Marinade
¾ cup soy sauce <javascript:void(0);>
¼ cup sake
¼ cup mirin
1½ tablespoons sugar
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 ¼-inch slice of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
Fried Chicken
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
8 cups vegetable oil, for frying
2 large eggs
3 cups potato starch, divided (you can substitute corn starch)
Ground white pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
3 tablespoons Sansho pepper powder (available at Asian markets; you can
substitute Szechuan peppercorn or ground fresh bay leaf)
5 fresh shiso leaves, chopped (you can substitute basil)
DIRECTIONS
1. Make the marinade: In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, sake, mirin,
sugar, garlic and ginger and stir until the sugar dissolves.
2. Cut each chicken breast into 6 pieces and each thigh into 4 pieces. Place
the chicken pieces in the soy marinade. Cover and let sit for 1 hour at room
temperature or for up to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
3. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot (or a deep fryer), heat the vegetable oil
to 365°F.
4. Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk until beaten. Add half of
the potato starch to a separate bowl.
5. Remove the chicken from the marinade. Dip each piece into the egg mixture
and then dredge the egg-coated chicken in the potato starch to coat evenly.
6. Add the coated chicken pieces to the hot oil and cook until golden brown,
about 3 minutes. (You may need to fry the chicken in batches.) Carefully
remove the chicken from the hot oil and place onto a paper towel-lined
plate. Cool in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
7. When cool, re-dredge the chicken in the rest of potato starch. Heat the
oil to 350°F. Return the chicken to the hot oil and cook until the meat is
no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Carefully remove the chicken from the hot
oil and place onto another paper towel-lined plate.
8. Season the fried chicken pieces with white pepper, salt and ground
Sansho. Sprinkle the chicken with the chopped shiso. Serve immediately.
Read more:
http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/chefs_recipes/15465/Ginger_Karaage_
Chicken.htm#ixzz3EiYjsy80

*******