ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Grant E. Metcalf" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2013 12:34:08 -0700
I have a problem with using the so-called Second Commandment as a basis for
self-love. Rather self-love was the standard by which a person was to love
his neighbor. A widely variable standard at best. Ephesians 5 speaks of the
husband that loves his wife as Christ loved the Church as also loving
himself. So we have an example of how Christians ought to love and it would
appear as how that shows love for oneself. Also in Ephesians 4:16 believers
build each other up in love. (cp. also John 13:34-35) Unfortunately, when
parents fail to teach and demonstrate the love of God to their children, a
proper self-esteem can be damaged. Furthermore, the world system is full of
psychological methods of building up one's self-esteem which are not
Biblically based. On the other hand, when we experience and understand the
love of God and see ourselves as He sees us, that provides a kind of esteem
that only God can give and that should fill us with love, joy and peace. And
all of this is to be to His honor and glory because of Who He is!
Listening for His shout!