ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2013 17:46:19 -0600
I had only one and loaned it to a friend once to use in their Sunday school
class.  When I got it back, the plastic trigger inside that you pulled to
move his mouth was broken.  He cost me 30 dollars from Sears and that was in
about 1977 or 78.  When we were in western Colorado, a pastor in Delta
called and asked me to preach in their Sunday morning service.  It was their
anniversary and they were shooting for 250 or 300 people to attend.  I was
honored until he said, "And we want you to bring your dummy and do your
routine."  I said, "You mean for a children's Sunday school class?"  He
said, "Nope.  I mean in front of over 200 adult people in the main service
before you preach."  I tried to back out but he said, "No dummy; no
preaching, and no offering either."  The guy strong armed me into doing it
and I had never done it in front of adults before then.  A woman in the
church got some baby clothes and made him a nice pair of pants and used some
new tennis shoes she bought for his feet.  She had a nice shirt for him,
too, and we had a small hand suitcase we put him in so I wouldn't have to
use the Hollywood looking case that came with him.  I think she even had a
hat for him if I remember right.  He looked cute.  My mom always said, he
looked like me, haha.  I did it but I sure was scared and nervous and could
hardly make my own mouth work and I got him out in front of all those
people.  He told the story of Jonah and the whale, or we did, because I had
to ask him questions when we came to words I could not say without moving my
mouth.  I used him in nursing home ministry services, too, and those old
people, like me now, loved it more than the children in church.

Phil.