ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Grant E. Metcalf" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2012 21:54:36 -0700
Hi doris,

I downloaded the series and have listened to lextures 23 and 24. Being what
Professor Koester calls a dispensationalist, I would disagree with his
protrayal of our system of literal interpretation of Scriture. In
particular, he seems to find fault with symbolism, i.e., the dragon of
chapter 12 being symbolic of
Satan as a possible example. In the literal method of interpretation,
symbolism is only one of the various forms of comminication used in the
Bible. I suppose one could argue over what is symbolic or not, but that
doesn't change the fact that symbolic terms are used in the Bible. Jesus
also used many parables. How many times have people used the account in Luke
16 of the rich man and Lazarus as a parable? However, if one bothers to
check it out, Scripture never defines it as a parable such as Jesus told in
Matthew 13 where he gave and explained many parables. A parable is an
allegory conveying a moral, an allegory is a symbolic story. It would seem
to me that Koester is an allegorist. It is my feeling that allegorical
interpretation is very subjective as you may have noticed. The opinion
and/or prejudice of the individual becomes an integral part of his or her
interpretation. Also, he placed the origin of dispensationalism at the feet
of John Darby as many non-dispensationalist do with which I disagree. Once
instance, and I forget the specific name of the group, was located in Italy
in the twelfth century.
Well, enough of my little rant!  I rather imagine the earlier lectures
doubtless have some interesting and informative material.  Thank for posting
the series.

Listening for His shout at the Rapture!

Grant

BTW, I am currently teachng through First Thessalonians which has much to
say about the Rapture, an important part of the dispensational literal
interpretation of he Apocalypse.