VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2015 19:27:21 -0700
Hi all,

Since I've been having hit and miss performance (i.e., frequent crashes)
with Open Book for the last couple of versions, I've decided to try
OmniPage Standard 18.1. I purchased and installed the software, but I'm
having some issues. I suspect they're caused by Ana-fatigue, but I'm
putting out the Bat Signal to get help from others who use this OCR package.

1. OmniPage keeps telling me my scanner isn't connected. When I run the
scanner setup wizard, OmniPage correctly identifies the scanners I have
or have had: my four-in-one, my little Canon, my HoverCam, and my
previous little Canon, but as I go through the wizard, it says the unit
is not connected and sends me to a drivers button. I went ahead and
visited the Canon site to reinstall the drivers, but OmniPage still says
it's not connected. The scanner has a USB cable and is physically
connected, and if I pull one of the cables out of its socket, the
computer chimes to let me know something is being disconnected. What am
I missing?

2. The interface, while accessible, doesn't seem very intuitive. I've
tried accessing the Getting Started material, but I seem to go into one
of those endless loops where you click on A, B, and C only to wind up
back at A without ever finding what you're trying to find. I've found a
manual for an older version, but irony of ironies, it's an empty
document, so I'm searching the web for information on how to use the
software. I'd be extremely grateful to anyone who could give me a couple
of quick tips on common workflows for, say, mail and books.

3. From having spent twenty minutes poking around, I think I can use
first letter navigation to go into the Process menu, then to Work Flow,
then to Start, but there doesn't seem to be a Scan Shortcut key. Is this
true, or will the manual give me wisdom? If there are shortcut keys, I'd
love to hear the two or three you use most often.

Ana will relax before coming back to this.

I'm using Jaws 15 and Windows 8.1, and I uninstalled Open Book and
deleted Open Book files from the c:\users\ana\AppData\Roaming folder
before installing OmniPage because my experience is that other OCR
programs don't work if Open Book is anywhere on the system.

Thanks for any help.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]