From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:18:02 -0000
Hi John,

Steve has covered all the points about choosing a manual or auto tuner.   I
use the MFJ-998 Legal Limit Auto Tuner Myself with my solid state amp, and
although my antennas are pretty much resonant I always use the tuner anyway,
and accept any losses as the price for accessibility and feedback.  It has a
series of nice aural tones that let you use the everyday functions perfectly
well, it cuts the Ptt if the SWR rises, and just gives me a good sense of
security when using high power.  Particularly as I switch between antennas
and Split a lot...

The tones tell you approximate SWR, which coaxial output is being used, and
allows you to select one of the 5 memory banks per output.

We recently recorded the manual on the Active Elements site, and it can be
found at:

http://active-elements.org/recordings/manuals/

Although you need initial help to turn on the tones, it does allow
independent operation.  I must pull my finger out and write a review
<smile>.

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals