From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2014 14:48:11 -0500
Mike,

Hope you can get this sorted out.   If you have mechanical or soldering
issues to deal with, that is a whole different thing, but the cleaning
shouldn't be a big deal.     The inductor and the little wheel (or
whatever in your unit)  are silver plated and get coated with oxidation
and crud over time.

You should follow the instructions particular to your unit, but in the
"for what it's worth" department, here is a snip from the manual for the
Palstar unit I have:

**
  Once every 4-6 months clean the roller coil with 70% isopropyl alcohol
    and a clean cotton cloth. Do not transfer any of the conducting grease
   on the rod that guides the roller wheel as this will contaminate the
windings
   on the roller coil body.

**

Since you have a known "problem spot", you may want to  count the turns
to that bad spot so when the cover is off you can get to that spot and
have your sighted helper  give that area a close  look.

I don't clean mine as often as they suggest, but if I let it go too long
I see some of the  same things you see, such as erratic swr and a  loud
squeal when turning the knob.

73, good luck, Steve KW3A