From:
"Alan R. Downing" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2014 15:49:57 -0700
It may be easier and less expensive to develop a speech interface to a
meter, such as the Power Master 2 or LP100 which already perform the signal
analysis, relieving the speech box (HamPod) of the requirement to do so.  If
Rob ultimately decides to produce a self contained power meter with speech,
it will have to be much more accurate than the TW-1 which is unspeakably
inaccurate.  The TW-1's tone mode is very good, but the forward, reflected,
and SWR are very inaccurate.  When I am running 1500 watts according to the
TW-1, the actual output is about 2300 watts.  I raised my output to 2000
watts according to my TW-1, and the actual output was over 3KW.  I have
given up using my two TW-1s as a power meter, and am using the tone mode
only for tuning my amps.  It will be nice to "read" the PM2 with the HamPod,
as opposed to reading the display on my computer, with the PM2 connected to
my PC via USB cable.  However, it is good that the PM2 can be read this way
until such time as I get a HamPod for my SteppIr controller.

Sometimes equipment can't be developed and produced for a figure that some
claim to be their limit.  It takes lots of equipment and many hours of
development time to come up with devices like the HamPod.  In other words,
it may simply not be possible for Rob to develop and produce an accurate
stand alone power meter with speech for anything close to $200.

KD7GC

Alan R. Downing
Phoenix, AZ