From:
"Jim Kutsch, KY2D" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 2013 12:14:41 -0500
Howard,
See below for some answers.

73, Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: For blind ham radio operators [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Howard Kaufman
Sent: Sunday, December 29, 2013 9:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: kx3 questions begin

Well, the first of many posts I am sure.
1.  How do I reverse the keying for the paddle?
JK: It's set via the "CW KEY2 menu" options. Copying from the owner's
manual:
"CW-Mode Menu Settings : Use the menu to set up iambic keying (CW IAMB),
keying weight (CW WGHT), and paddle normal/reverse or hand key (CW KEY1 for
the KEY jack, and CW KEY2 for the KXPD3). Also use CW WGHT for CW transmit
in SSB mode."

 2.  How do I adjust the weight for the keyer?
JK: See #1 above.

3.  Is their audio equalization and band pass settings, people say it sounds
good but a bit compressed.
JK: Yes, there are both RX and TX  equalization settings. See "RX EQ" and
"TX EQ" in the manual.
. Passband is automatically controlled by lowering the "low" and raising the
"high" on the passband filter in ssb mode or by increasing the "width" of
the passband in CW. These are done on the second knob from the left along
the bottom row. Also note there is a speech compressor. Compression settings
are made using the 3rd knob in from the left which controls mic gain, power,
CW speed, compression, etc., depending on pressing or not pressing it before
adjusting and also pressing or not pressing the two buttons below it.

4.  Has anybody used anything besides the supplied hand mike?
JK: Yes, many have. For example, I'm using and old Estatic D104 in which I
replaced the original crystal element with a Heil HC5. Note, if you change
microphones, you need to make changes in the microphone menu item,
especially for mic bias.

5.  What works well?  I am thinking of a sterio and headset mike.
JK: I've seen several on the Elecraft and KX3 lists who have had success
with a PC stereo headset and mic. Others like the Heil Proset.

6.  I read about a mod to increase broadcast band sensitivity, has anybody
done this, if so how, and what, are your results?
JK: Can't help here.

7.  The 3 position switch on the pa-100 goes all the way to the left,
correct?
JK: There are no three-position switches on the KXPA100. There are two
two-position slide switches. The one on the front controls power and it
should be in the left (off) position assuming you have the Elecraft KXPACBL
cable set connecting the KX3 and KXPA100. The two-position switch on the
rear is for the attenuator and it should be in the left (when viewed from
the rear) position as again, the attenuator is automatically controlled via
the cables from the KX3.

As you can see, sleeping is not what I have been doing.
JK: You'll get there. It's a great radio. I'll look for you on the 20 meter
net this afternoon if you want to have a KX3/KXPA100 to KX3/KXPA100 QSO.
Also, you might find these two email groups of interest:
[log in to unmask] (this one is specifically for the KX3 and KXPA100)
[log in to unmask] (This one covers all Elecraft products)

H T Kaufman MSW LCSW
Adaptive Technology Instructor

---
protection is active.