From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2013 15:28:12 -0330
Hi John:

Nope connected the vertically directly to the 570 and it tuned up fine on that troubled freq.
I got my XYL to read the meter for me and the SWR was around 1.5/1, a safe level anyway.
I wanted to try the manual tuner on the direct setting but wasn't really sure how to use the TW-1 in that configuration.
So to some up, with the MFJ-989 manual tuner in line, this is the setup.
Patch cable from the FT-102's antenna jack to the Radio connector on the TW-1. TW-1's antenna connector to the Transmitter connector on the back of the MFJ-989. Dummy load connected to the dummy load jack and the antenna connected to the coax 1 jack.
Tuning up the 102 into the dummy load is perfect. I then reduce the power down to about 75/80W or so, then switch to coax 1.
This is when the problem occurs. I tune with about 75/80w, get things down to flat but the tuned state won't stay flat.
I have to repeatedly readjust the roller inductor knob back and forth about a 10DG turn either clock wise or counter to keep the SWR  flat but again it won't stay there.
I don't think its my rig because on the dummy load, there's no flux and all the settings on the 102 don't change. I only change the ATU from the DL to coax 1.
I didn't try the coax 2 jack although maybe I should the next time I'm out to the cottage. That's what I suspect.
There's something happening there.

Michael