From:
Kevin Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2013 02:14:42 -0400
Hi.

I changed the subject to better fit what we're talking about.  I think what
we as ham operators enjoy about far off AM stations is the same reason why
we put up antennas for HF to get that rare DX contact.  For me, it was
realizing that I was actually hearing a transmitted signal from that distant
location direct, point to point.  It's true that we have things like
EchoLink and our smart phones, but these rely on a network of relaying
points to get to us with that crystal clear signal.  Presently I don't have
HF, except what I could get on my TH-F6A.  I hope to be able to get back on
HF soon, and experience the excitement of getting that rare DX.  I remember
my Novice days, back when you could only use CW on four HF bands.  I was in
high school, and I well remember getting up at five in the morning to work
west coast stations on 40 meters.  I lived near Cincinnati, Ohio back then,
and I had a blast!  Technology has sure changed in the 31 years since I've
been licensed, and I wonder if the public understands that we hams pioneered
a lot of it.

Have a good night, and don't work too hard.

Kevin Minor, Lexington, KY