From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 21:17:09 -0500
I'm sharing the following message I received from Kent because I think it is
an insightful and useful response that might help all of us.

*****

Hi Ron,

You asked so here goes.  Our club is at least maintaining attendance and is
actually growing but at a very slow pace.  We have around 55 on the roll and
we generally have around 25 at meetings.  I'm sometimes astonished at how
many attend meetings as more often than not, we don't have a program.
Attendance would greatly increase, I believe, if we regularly had a good
program each month.  Recently I have been staying home more often when no
program is scheduled.  HF is rarely mentioned in meetings other than among
members before or after the meeting and then not much.

Regarding meetings, I can only speak from what I have experienced and would
like to see.  Meetings with a pre-determined topic generally have greater
attendance.  Most hams will be interested in learning something they don't
know or want to know more about.  Programs that offer new avenues of
interest, educate or instruct should interest most amateurs.  Programs on
building, location, selecting antennas, actual "how to" operating skills on
various modes of operation, satellites, recent dx contacts, software defined
radios or simple electronic kits to build, how to use a multimeter, RFI
hunting etc. would, in my opinion, make interesting programs for both the
experienced and inexperienced member.  Wouldn't it be great to be a member
of a radio club that has programs like this!

Regarding nets, our 2 meter weekly net is not something to anticipate.  This
week, the person responsible for being net controller for the week didn't
show up (this happens about a third of the time) so after waiting a bit we
just began without the designated net controller.  We had about 6 to check
in and normally we have only 10-12.

If your weekly net focuses primarily on the number of check-ins with few
having any comments or topics of substance, you won't have a net for very
long.  The net controller should set the tone for the net with something of
interest or a topic that will generate discussion.  Most people like to talk
and most like to talk about themselves or their experiences.  The net
controller should ask questions of the participants and/or provide
participants the opportunity to offer their experiences.  I listen to a
number of nets and the nets that actually have rag chew beyond the weather
and a topic for the night or an on-air question are always interesting and
something to look forward to.  I have stopped listening to a couple of nets
that offer pretty much nothing other than hearing yourself give your call
sign and hear how many checked in.

Regarding new members... Enthusiasm is absolutely necessary in attracting
others to your club and this hobby.  I got hooked on radio by amateurs who
were excited about what they were doing on the air and told me about some of
the possibilities.  If a potential new club member/new ham sees your
enthusiasm and can understand that amateur radio is more than an
underpowered 2 meter handheld half the battle is won.

Aside from that, I don't have an opinion.
Kent
In the mountains north of Clyde NC