From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2013 22:07:34 +0100
Hi Mark,

There are two types of ground rod.  There is the steel rod with a thin
copper coating, and there is the solid copper type.

The steel rods are much cheaper, but depending on your soil type, they will
corrode, and will typically need replacing after 2 or 3 years.  If you have
this type, you would do well to replace it as the corrosion will make it
unlikely to work.  Here in the UK, amateurs have withdrawn and inspected the
steel and copper coated rods after a few years, and the copper has gone, and
the steel has rusted.  In this case, the grounding effect will be zero.

The solid copper rods are thicker, about three quarters of an inch, and of
course, much more expensive.  Typically, these will last 10 to fifteen
years.

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals