From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2013 12:33:52 +0100
Hi Gail,

Is the power output you mentioned an actual measurement of RF being
transmitted, as opposed to the expected value?  The expected value reads in
5 watt steps, so I'm intrigued <smile>.  BTW, I only used the 590 briefly a
couple of years ago...

In the review at:

http://active-elements.org/2012/12/01/kenwood-ts-590/

I see I wrote:

The Programmable Function keys can be assigned to perform many different
commands,
so they are not fixed to just read Frequency and Signal Strength. If you use
an optional
microphone with four additional Programmable Function buttons, these can
also be
assigned. I was delighted to find the TS-590S also allows the microphone Up
and Down
buttons to be programmed.
The Frequency and Signal Strength readouts are shown in the manual as Voice1
and
Voice2 respectively. In line with the anticipation of the SWR readout, there
is the
addition of Voice3. This is not assigned to a programmable function key by
default,
and I chose to assign it to the Down button on the microphone. Voice3 works
in conjunction
with the meter display. If the SWR meter is selected and a carrier is
transmitted,
pressing the mic Down will voice:
'R 1.0'
The SWR appears to be announced accurately up to 5 to 1, and if the
impedance is
out of range, you'll hear:
'R Over'
To assist in reading the SWR, I programmed the microphone Up button to send
a 10
watt tuning carrier. This meant I could press mic Up, followed by mic Down
and have
the SWR spoken.
Each press of the Meter button toggles the display between SWR, ALC, and
Speech Compression.
These presses give no spoken feedback, but when used in conjunction with
Voice-3,
the SWR, the ALC, and the Compression levels are individually spoken.
If ALC is selected, pressing the Voice3 button voices:
'A 0', for no signal
'A 10', if the level is ten
'A Over', if ALC is out of range
Similar voice outputs are given for Speech Compression, but with 'C' being
used instead
of 'A'. I'm not sure how much reliance can be placed on setting the ALC and
Compression
accurately using this method.
The Meter button also engages the Drive feature when held for about 1
second. The
Drive reduces power output for use on the LF bands, and beeps to indicate On
and
Off. It could be easy to accidentally hold in the 'Meter' button for
slightly longer
than you had intended, and find you are no longer being heard because power
has been
reduced. There is an option in the menu system to increase the time needed
to hold
buttons to engage second level commands, and this mightbe be useful.

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals