From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2013 19:56:10 -0600
Butch, I've seen balluns do some remarkable things.  Ladder line, as you
likely already know, is really lossy unless it is perfect hung with
obstruction removed, or equalize on either side, that it probably isn't any
different, as far as power to the antenna is concern, than a 1 to 1 ballun
or 4 to 1 ballun.  Besides ladder line is a pain in the butt and especially
during windy times, wet times, rain that is, and especial snow and ice.  The
SWR bounces around like jello in a hot bowl.

Phil.
K0NX